Community Parks Officer – Cheltenham Borough Council
Community Parks Officer - Cheltenham Borough Council
Come and work for an award winning organisation!
We are committed to making Cheltenham a better place to live and work, enabling local residents and businesses to prosper whilst protecting what is good about our Borough.
We are looking to recruit a Community Parks Officer to join and assist with the implementation of the Council’s Corporate strategy in relations to environmental, community and carbon reduction project objectives. We currently have over 100 parks and open spaces and 52 play areas to maintain and develop and have a wide variety of projects that need to be delivered from infrastructure repairs, new perennial planting schemes, biodiversity improvements, playground refurbishments and park master planning and management plans.
If you would like to join a passionate team and have a good understanding of project management in landscape and design then we would love to hear from you.
About the role…
- To assist with the implementation of the Council’s Corporate strategy in relations to environmental, community and carbon reduction project objectives
- To develop, co-ordinate and implement 6 Green Flag Park awards and Green heritage site accreditation management plans and applications
- To assist in the design and project manage maintenance/refurbishment/development works associated with play areas, parks, open spaces, playing fields, allotments and other public green space.
- Work with other community groups and partners to identify improvements, lead projects, occasional volunteer working parties and secure external funding
- Promote the work of the department to our customers through meetings, consultations, social media and website updates.
- To provide advice to other Divisions within the council concerning landscape matters.
- To manage councils stock of public seating and urban street furniture including seat sponsorship scheme.
- Administering departmental inboxes
To be successful you will need…
- A minimum HND in Landscape design or equivalent
- A full clean Driving Licence.
- Relevant experience in landscape, construction and/or environmental practices
- The ability to draw up plans, measure quantities and put together specifications for minor works.
- To be pro-active, self-motivated and well organised; able to work independently, as well as working as part of a team.
For more information about this role please see the Job Description and Person Specification.
What can we do for you…
- An excellent pension scheme. You will be eligible to join the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS).
- A generous holiday entitlement of 25 days rising to 30 days after five years. Part-time employees receive a pro rata entitlement of 25 days.
- A flexible and agile working environment. We aim to provide opportunities to work from home or elsewhere and offer flexibility in working hours.
- A comprehensive programme of learning and development.
- Two days paid time off for volunteering.
- Enhanced maternity and paternity schemes.
- An employee counselling service.
- Free eye tests (for some posts) and contribution towards the cost of glasses.
- A cycle to work scheme.
- A commitment to employee wellbeing.
To apply for this position please click on “apply now” within this page and submit your CV and supporting statement. Please tell us about your skills, knowledge, qualifications, experience and how they meet the criteria listed above and in the job description/person specification. It’s important that we’re a good fit for each other, so let us know what’s important to you and why you want to work for Cheltenham Borough Council.
Our organisation is committed to safeguarding the welfare of vulnerable adults, young people and children. Safer recruitment practices are applied to all job vacancies. Successful candidates will be required to complete a pre-employment medical questionnaire and provide references; proof of identity, nationality and immigration status; three years’ employment or education history (if applicable) and, in some cases, verification of criminal record.